Monday 8 August 2016

AUGUST 2016 : SPAIN : CAMINO FINISTERRE : DAY 1: Santiago - Negeira - 21 kms - 6 hours

Distance walked : 21 kms




In ancient days, pilgrims continued to the coast and often burnt their clothes and shoes as a final symbol of renewal. We thought we'd try it. I set off from Santiago and Mark found a local bus.


Leaving Santiago.



I was s little worried I'd get lost and found a couple going to Finisterre, so I relaxed until I realised they weren't behind me. They were going to Finisterre - but by bus.



I found the route.


Following any signs I could find.



They were becoming more frequent.



Then suddenly I was thrust into a eucalyptus forest... I could have been walking at home.



Passing a Revoltina...



Into little pristine villages..



Some goats for company..



Then I came across groups of walkers on the tracks..



..on the roads..



Decorated fences..



A mountain up ahead...will I be going around it or over it..



Medieval bridge at Augapesada... now spanning a field


And as I expected it was up over the mountain - 490m - but a lovely surprise to meet the Sydney couple we'd met at the mass yesterday.



Lots of activity in the fields and vegetable gardens today.



Several excellent stops for refreshments. This one in Trasmonte.



I shared a drink with Julie from Denmark, who has been walking the Camino Frances with her mother.



Ponte Maciera. Very attractive bridge over the River Tambre. The river has been dammed and provides a scenic swimming spot.



Ponte Maciera.



Crossing the bridge.



Pilgrims and locals enjoying the cool water on an increasingly hot day.



Mark surprised me by meeting me here.



We walked on in the cool towards Negreira.



The outskirts of the busy town.


Our albergue.




Lovely grounds.


We booked for 2 beds in the albergue for 12 euros pp but we were offered a double room with shared bathroom and towels and linen for 15 euros pp.

     

A late lunch - 3 courses for 8 euros. The Imperial Cafe is run by a couple who met at a hotel in Barnstable - he is from Devonshire and she is from Galicia. Great hosts and full of helpful suggestions for the next few days walking, which could be long and hot. Looking forward to hitting the coast.


Meanwhile the municipal pool has reopened for the evening session and the locals are pouring in.

M&M

No comments: