The last day of our wonderful holiday! We left Menaggio on the bus at 9 am for the hour's journey to the lakes's hub, Como.
Como in the past with the funicular railway in the background. It was built in 1894 and links Como with the small hilltop town of Brunate.
The railway terminal was only a short walk from our hotel. 15 minutes up to Brunate and views of the lake and Como town.
More by luck than good management we missed the tourist hype in Brunate and found a quiet trattoria, from another era, with only local (male) customers. An elderly woman was our attentive waitress and we had a large antipasto plate and a regional dish of fried perch on butter risotto with sage.
Unusual ceramic light fittings.
Descending the funicular we could see the cathedral with its large dome. The church was begun in 1396 and completed in 1740.
We were surprised to find the cathedral in a large square with eateries, fashionable stores and lots of life around it.
Details in the dome.
The town hall or Broletto, which is attached to the cathedral, built in 1215.