Sunday 11 August 2019

AUGUST 2019 : IRELAND : DAY 7 : Kerrykeel, Donegal


11oC this morning as we drove to Portsalon for our dip. Fortunately the water temperature was warmer. I think I’m getting into this madness. It feels amazing ..afterwards.


Fanad  lighthouse is nearby so we drove the scenic coast road to do the midday tour. It was opened in 1817 after some sea disasters in the area. It became automated and unmanned in 1983.


Some of the technology used in the  170 years of operation.


The narrow winding staircases for the various levels.


This afternoon we walked the Marine Path in the Ard Forest Park. Fabulous coastal scenery.




Such a spectacular walk and so well sign-posted that I strode ahead enjoying the flowers, forest sections and the beaches. Then I realised it was much longer than expected and I was alone. Although I was following the blue route as planned, I ended up at the Ard Forest carpark and not the Ard Friary where we’d parked, having walked the full loop. It would be a 45 minute walk back to the Friary and no mobile or method of contacting the others. So I tapped on a few car windows as walkers were leaving  the carpark and found an accommodating couple to drive me back the 20 minute car journey to the Friary. It was all the more urgent as Joe had an appointment with his elderly mother and needed to drop us off beforehand. Dolores, Joe and Mark were very relieved to see me as they had alerted walkers along the path with my description and were worried I was lost in the forest. An exciting time and saved by some very helpful people along the way.
(Purple line shows the road on which I was driven back to the Friary. We had been walking the much shorter headland path.)






Yet more Guinness to celebrate.



 M&M

No comments: